Welcome back for another fantastic term! The students have settled back into their learning program and eagerly practising their literacy and numeracy skills. Below are listed some of the focus concepts and skills that the students will be working towards this term. It is important to remember that children will develop at different rates and it is important to keep consolidating and enhancing their skills and knowledge by practising at home.
- Reading and writing high frequency words independently.
- Sentence structure. Capital letters and full stops.
- Self correcting- Does my writing make sense?
- Comprehension- Answering questions about what they have just read.
- Retell main ideas in correct sequence.
- Spelling strategies
- Consolidating teen numbers- reading and writing.
- Count with number sequences to and from 100 by ones from any
starting point. Counting forwards and backwards.
- Skip counting in 10s and 5s.
- Place value- Understanding two-digit numbers as comprised of tens and ones/units.
- Partition small numbers in different ways.
- Simple addition and subtraction problems.
- Describing the features of three-dimensional objects.
- Measurement- length.
- Reading time- clock hour and half past(analogue and digital).
YOUR CONTACT DETAILS
It is very important that any changes to your phone numbers and address details are communicated to the office and classroom teacher.
These are sent home every fortnight. Please read them carefully as there is lots of important information included.
UNIFORM: Please label all items especially hats, jumpers and jackets.
It has been wonderful to see all children wearing the school uniform so proudly. It is very important that all items of uniform are labelled clearly with your child’s name (Especially jumpers and jackets). Students need to wear suitable footwear everyday as they will be participating in additional sport and fitness sessions throughout the week. A navy blue wide brim hat is required every day for sun protection and we have a “No hat, no play” policy. Occasionally some students have toilet accidents usually because they are preoccupied and not wanting to stop playing during recess and lunch. In view of this, you may include a change of clothes in your child’s bag. This will minimise any embarrassment for your child. It is best to put them in a labelled plastic bag so that it is easy for us to find. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter.
Over the year, we will require lots of parental support, so any time you have to give will be greatly appreciated. Whether it’s ten minutes before school to listen to children read, or time during the day to help with small group work, it’s all appreciated!
Thank you for taking the time to read this page. Please feel welcome to come in at any time, our doors are always open. If any concerns arise at all, no matter how GREAT or small, do not hesitate to let us know and we will arrange a time for a meeting.
Year One Classroom Teachers